List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE4: missing features from KDE3
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-08-04 11:18:38

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 04 August 2009 10:29:24 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 August 2009, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> > People still complain about KDE3 features they miss in KDE4 (for
> > instance:
>
> yes, of course they will. because people are people. there's a certain sort
> of bullying going on there where certain individuals, fewer with each
> release i might add, feel that if they just SHOUT LOUD AND ANNOYINGLY
> ENOUGH AT US that we'll relent, break our designs, go back on what we're
> trying to do and give them what they are used to at the expense of everyone
> else.

This is the usual *very* vocal minority - they will never be convinced, and
can only be ignored.

<snip>

> half the things affecting plasma there are bugs (and not all in plasma,
> btw) and most of the rest are WONTFIXes. yes, things change. some design
> decisions that bring benefits mean other things that were done before
> aren't going to happen anymore.

WONTFIX is a major annoyance.  People might feel better if they are given an
explanation of why something won't be fixed.  I totally sympathise with those
who feel slighted when WONTFIX is all they see on their bug report.

<snip>
> you know what's REALLY funny about that page on en.opensuse.org? it doesn't
> mention _at all_ the actually useful features that are missing, like a
> plasmoid to show a random submenu of the apps menu so you can drag and drop
> it from kickoff into the pane (or wherever) and just get that branch of
> them.

This is one of the most frequently bemoaned lacks on the user list.  IMO it
should be a high priority one, as it would certainly help a great many people,
many of whom don't constantly moan about other things.

> even more "funny" is that when i commented on the wishlist item for that
> and noted that we should implement it but that it wouldn't be in this
> release i got yelled at by two different people on the report, completely
> without cause.
>
> if the community of users wants to see improvement they can pick up a text
> editor and get their hands dirty, pay / coerce someone else to do so or
> shut up and be patient.

Unkind and unrealistic.  Without bug/wish reports how do you know what
features people value?  Again, just a kind reply of 'coming, but not yet' is
not too much to ask, but often too much to get.

> now, i'm all for a proper feature request system. bugzilla is not that, a
> wiki is not that, random emails are not that, a blog is not that. FATE, as
> used by opensuse, gets pretty damn close though (and it even has a kde
> client). one day i'll probably just say "screw bugs.kde.org for feature
> requests" and have someone set up a FATE install for plasma. and then we
> can get on to the business of proper feature request work flow.
>
> i know that's probably a lot more, and not the sort of, feedback your were
> probably looking for when you wrote your well-meaning email. i just think
> we need to know where we're going ourselves first and foremost and deal
> with feature choice and growth issues wisely.

Anne