List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: zeitgeist for KDE
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-06-27 20:35:12

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 27 June 2009, Shane Fagan wrote:
> Well we have our own semantic framework ish. We're using a sqlite
> database to store file metadata and that we plan on adding support for
> tracker's RDF store in the future. Nepomuk kinda does something similar
> to zeigeist I think.

the Nepomuk ontologies and query system are being standardized and will be
replacing the role(s) that xesam was trying to fill. it's rather complete
system (from the semantics side of things) and has a _lot_ of work put into it
by a number of very dedicated and knowledgeable individuals. KDE is already
been instrumenting several of our applications to feed into Nepomuk, not least
of which is akonadi fro PIM (email/calendaring/contacts/etc). if it all
possible, it would be great to zeitgeist be able to work with the Nepomuk
ontologies and stores.

that said, it'd be pretty cool to see a zeitgeist widget written in Qt/KDE. so
to your original question:

"I was wondering where I should start in making the widget so I thought id
ask."

from a UI POV, you could dive in with PyQt/PyKDE (iirc zeitgeist is written in
Python, correct?) and should be able to get up and going in very little time.

if you would like a place to house it, we can certainly get you svn access,
though i imagine it could be hosted with the rest of zeitgeist even easier.

as for loggers ... that will be a bit more complicated i think as it will
really require instrumenting a large number of applications, each with their
own internals. this is, in part, why we chose to go with Nepomuk: it gives us
a common target, it's platform neutral, it's a complete solution that others
can also tap into and it is the result of an EU funded project so there's good
science behind it.

i would guess that it's much, much less work (and far more likely to succeed
with upstream) to simply allow Zeitgeist to use Nepomuk stores than it would
be to go around and write loggers for enough applications for it to be
interesting to use. you can then just let the app devs provide support for
their own apps via Nepomuk :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se