List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: zeitgeist for KDE
From:       Josh Berry <des () condordes ! net>
Date:       2009-06-27 19:47:50

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 06:43, Shane Fagan<shanepatrickfagan@yahoo.ie> wrote:
> Hi,
> I help out on zeitgeist we started off as just a gnome project but now
> we have separated it into a daemon (that uses the dbus) and the GUI.
> Zeitgeist gets the history from applications and displays all the
> history from all the programs (That have a logger written for them) in a
> timeline. At the moment we only have a gnome interface. As well as only
> having a Gnome interface we still dont have loggers for any of KDE's
> programs. I was thinking that it would make a good widget. I was
> wondering where I should start in making the widget so I thought id ask.
> If you want a look at zeitgeist have a look here.
> https://edge.launchpad.net/zeitgeist

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but Zeitgeist seems like the
sort of thing that might be intended to, for example, link chat
conversations, emails, IRC logs, weblog posts, tweets, etc. together
into a timeline.  That would allow me, for example, to show every
event that occurred connected to a specific person and answer
questions like: "Did I send you that file over AIM or email?" "You
gave me your address, but I forgot what medium you gave it to me
in..."

Is that the case?  It wasn't very clear from the website.  (If not,
please ignore me :) )

If so, it seems like a good place to start might be Kopete -- they
have a plugin system (with a History plugin already implemented), and
they already link IM contacts to entries in the KDE address book.  I
suspect it would be very easy to write a Zeitgeist Kopete plugin that
collects and logs all this information.

Other programs to look at might be Choqok (the Twitter client), KMail,
or Konversation (IRC).

-- Josh