List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Classic Menu in kde43 looks good,
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-06-13 16:10:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 13 June 2009, A.J. Venter wrote:
> mailing before posting something) - but it doesn't handle .desktop
> files nicely - it shows the filename rather than the description.

it does when viewing the "Desktop" folder (for which it uses the desktop:/ kio
slave)...

> Even on the desktop I think showing the description/Name entry from
> the .desktop file rather than the filename makes sense. After all if
> you have a folderview of your Desktop folder, it is likely full of
> shortcuts from various apps - and the filename isn't the part you are
> actually interested in - it's the program name you want to see.

the trick would be in making renaming the file from the UI work properly;
since it would actually be editing the file itself, not renaming the entry in
the file system. moreover i think it would likely end up with "fun" situations
where the user sees "Kontact" but if they create a new file called
kontact.desktop in the same folder "Kontact" gets overwritten!

so i don't think this is really safe or even desirable in the file managers
(konq, dolphin), though it might be defensible in folderview (while certainly
adding more cpu cycles to various actions :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se