List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: finding the unloved
From:       John Layt <johnlayt () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-07 9:39:54

On Saturday 06 June 2009 21:51:24 KSU wrote:
> The part of KDE-4 that is most unloved in KPrinter.  In fact, there was
> so little support for it that it was canceled. :-(  I have ideas about
> how this should work, if anyone is interested.

I wouldn't say entirely unloved, just an extremely demanding mistress... :-)

The big thing with printing right now is trying to get all the features we
need (like odd/even pages and persistent settings) built into the Qt print
system and dialog, which is now more likely with their moving to a more open
development model.  Trying to sort that will be my summer project, and anyone
able to help will be welcome, especially anyone with Mac or Windows printing
expertise as I have to solve cross-platform issues before I can push my
patches upstream.

The printer admin stuff is in good hands now with the underlying engine a
cross-distro project between Red Hat, Mandriva, Ubuntu and others, with
Kubuntu maintaining the KDE front-ends.

Which leaves the KDE3 print utilities like kprinter and kdeprintfax.  These
are things I just don't have time to work on at all and really are up for
grabs.

John.