List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: eigen moving to mercurial
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-05-18 6:05:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 16 May 2009, Benoit Jacob wrote:
> [2] Due to an explosion of the number of prospective contributors, we
> have a urgent need to switch to a DVCS. KDE has always been very
> generous in granting SVN accounts including to eigen-only
> contributors, but still there's no way that KDE's SVN can match the
> flexibility of having our own dvcs.

it's great that you're experiencing an explosion in contributors, and i can
understand why you'd like to move to a dvcs. it's a little unfortunate imho
that mercurial will be used, and not because mecurial isn't a good tool (it
seems like quite a _good_ one, actually) but because of this:

in some of my unhappy dreams, however, we end up in a world where every bit of
kde related technology uses some different set of management and build tools,
forcing people to both learn and keep around N different systems for building,
version control, bug systems, etc.

there's a general trend towards git usage (Qt's latest moves being perhaps one
of the largest moves in recent times, but the common use of git-svn amongst
kde devs is another significant, if less visible, one). now, one can certainly
argue why git isn't the best, but it's hard to argue that using common tools
carries significant benefits.

just a thought. best of luck on the continued success of eigen. :)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se