List:       kde-devel
Subject:    eigen moving to mercurial
From:       Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-05-16 16:19:17

Hi,

Eigen was so far developed in /trunk/kdesupport. We've just moved to a
mercurial repository [1] instead. Reasons detailed below [2].

I'm writing this to detail our plan to make this seamless from the
point of view of KDE.

In the _short term_, that is until shortly after KDE 4.3 and Eigen 2.1
are released this summer, we keep /trunk/kdesupport/eigen2 alive. So
nothing at all changes from the point of view of KDE. It is no longer
where Eigen development happens, but that makes no difference for KDE.
We update this copy of Eigen when/if needed (in case a bug needs to be
patched).

Of course things can't stay long like this because kdesupport is
explicitly not a place where to put copies of external libraries. So
this solution is only temporary.

After KDE 4.3 and (shortly after) Eigen 2.1 are released, that is
around august, we remove /trunk/kdesupport/eigen2. KDE will then rely
on Eigen 2.1 as a classical external (build-time-only) dependency. The
idea is that after the Eigen 2.1 release, distros will have packages
of Eigen 2.1 so that will be convenient.

Right now this would be impractical because KDE is tracking the
development of Eigen closely. After the 2.1 release that won't be the
case anymore -- 2.1 will be enough for KDE until 2.2 comes out.

I will take care of updating KDE's CMake code when appropriate -- that
is when kdesupport/eigen2 gets removed.

Cheers,
Benoit

[1] http://bitbucket.org/eigen/eigen2/
[2] Due to an explosion of the number of prospective contributors, we
have a urgent need to switch to a DVCS. KDE has always been very
generous in granting SVN accounts including to eigen-only
contributors, but still there's no way that KDE's SVN can match the
flexibility of having our own dvcs.