List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 4.2.0 issues
From:       Robin Atwood <robin () binro ! org>
Date:       2009-02-26 10:24:30

On Thursday 26 Feb 2009, Robin Atwood wrote:
> On Thursday 26 Feb 2009, Norberto Bensa wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Robin Atwood <robin@binro.org> wrote:
> > > Is it just me or does the Session Management completely ignore apps
> > > started under kdesu?
> >
> > Do you expect kde to remember your root password too? :-)
>
> Idiots. It doesn't need to to, I am in the wheel group and PAM is
> configured so the password is not necessary. All of which is completely
> irrelevant, this worked flawlessly under KDE < 4 and it would be nice if it
> still did. Some of us have to actually maintain systems. This is actually a
> show-stopper for me rolling out KDE 4.2 out onto production systems.

Having just reviewed my post I realise I over-reacted and was rude for which I
apologise. This comes from responding to mail very late at night when I was
tired and irritable and is not recommended. I shall revert to my normal
charming self henceforth! So let's calm down and move on.

The technical issue remains, however, wrt applications running as root and
session management. I assume from the replies I got that I have not done
something wrong and my config files are not corrupt. In previous versions of
KDE there were always menu entries under System for starting the file manager
and Kate as super-user and session management for these was transparent. So
is the omission in KDE 4.2 just that, an omission, or on a todo list, a bug
or policy?

Once again, apologies.
-Robin
Robin Atwood.