List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Is this a KDM bug ? (And how can I find out :p)
From:       "A.J. Venter" <aj () outkastsolutions ! co ! za>
Date:       2008-10-27 7:33:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> Do you have dri? Try glxinfo | grep direct.
> >
> > Hence my suspicion that this may be an incompatibillity
> with nouveau from
> > the KDM side. But since I am not absolutely sure, I thought I
> would first
> > ask the developers for insight before logging a bug report
> with either
> > project.
> >
> > Ciao
> > A.J.
> I can't see how this could be possibly be caused from KDM.
> However, I can't see how it could not be caused by KDM. Have
> you got it set to use XGL or something similar?

I went digging further and found the answer, it's not a KDM problem but a
lesser-known caveat of the nouveau driver itself. Nouveau's built-in 3D
support is limited to xorg 1.5 and higher, to get it going on 1.4 you need
to also install the gallium driver (which is still very unstable). That
provides the missing nouveau_dri.so file.
I'm not sure why from kdm XFCE also tried to load it but once I added
gallium (as per the nouveau wiki I didn't install it in the system but
rather added ld.so.conf entries for it and just symlinked the dri_file into
the xorg tree) things loaded right.

At that stage KDE and XFCE could load, but there is one glitch which other
nouveau users should know about: at least for now no GL functions work on
the 2D level with it. It causes a completely lockup (so completely I suspect
there's a kernel panic behind the scenes) if you are lucky, and a xorg crash
if you're not.
This means you need to hand-remove any compositing entries from your kwinrc
file if they are there before KDE will load, and you cannot open the
screensaver or desktop entries in control center (the compositing test in
the latter and the GL screensavers in the former cause crashes).

That said, without compositing and avoiding those entries, KDE under nouveau
with remarkably faster and more stable than under proprietory nvidia driver.
Nouveau has a ways to go before it will be a real replacement (tv-out is
barely even started)  but it's coming along and it may already provide a
better KDE experience than the nvidia driver for many users (at least, if
you don't miss 3D acceleration for stuff like games). Twinview and
nvidia-style xinerama doesn't work, but the xrandr 1.2 support solved that
easily enough and I could get full dual-head support with just a few changes
to my xorg.conf file.

I had previously used the fbdev driver with the vesafb kernel driver with
some success, but it doesn't support dual-screen even with plain xinerama
and it's set of available resolutions is rather limited. Though it lacks any
compositing support it was by far the fastest KDE4 I have yet had. I would
still like to test the rivafb kernel driver with fbdev and see how that
compares as well.

Ciao
A.J.
--
A.J. Venter
Tel.: +27 21 554 5059

www.silentcoder.co.za - Blog
scartoonz.silentcoder.co.za - ScarToonz webcomic