List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Is this a KDM bug ? (And how can I find out :p)
From:       Michael Howell <mhowell123 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-10-25 14:20:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 25 October 2008 00:50:11 A.J. Venter wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've begun testing the nouveau driver set in the hope of
building up a good
> set of bug reports I can contribute to the project. I
discovered an
> interesting one though - which may in fact not be a
nouveau bug but a KDM
> but - so I would like to make sure where to report it before I
act on it.

> The behaviour is quite odd actually, using nouveau, KDM
starts fine and
> lets me log in  - but then X immediately dies, this happens
regardless of
> what desktop is being loaded so it's not a problem
elsewhere in KDE -it
> seems to be compositing related based on the kdm log file.
XFCE and KDE
> both die on startup, enlightenment and xvfwm run fine.
Is it possible that XFCE and KDE are set to use Compiz?
> But starting nouveau with startx, I can then launch a the
same sessions
> without a problem, there are some graphics glitches here
and there but
> those are obviously driver bugs. (Right now KDE doesn't
work under it but I
> am not yet prepared to think this is a bug, it could be a
matter of my
> settings being too set up for nvidia so I will have to try it
with blank
> settings for effects first).
>
> For comparison, I tested with slim and xdm and both work
just fine, which
> is why I tend to think the problem is actually in KDM.
>
> Can somebody give me some insight as to where to look for
possible causes
> of the problem ?
> I checked the kdm.log and it shows the following:
>
> 	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
> 	to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Module Loader present
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default
setting,
> 	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
> 	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??)
unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Oct 25
09:29:02 2008
0x0002130C ==========
0x00021218 ==========
0x0002004C ==========
0x00020060 ==========
> (EE) NOUVEAU(0): 0xC4BD: Init table command not found:
0x76
> (II) Module "i2c" already built-in
> (II) Module "ddc" already built-in
> (II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
> (EE) AIGLX error: dlopen of
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/nouveau_dri.so failed
> (/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/nouveau_dri.so: cannot open
shared object file:
> No such file or directory)
> (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
> Link points to "/var/tmp/kdecache-root"
> Link points to "/tmp/kde-root"
>
> Backtrace:
> 0: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x6a) [0x48662a]
> 1: /lib/libc.so.6 [0x2ab9fc060f70]
> 2:
/usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so(DoGetVisualConfigs+0x7b)
> [0x2ab9fcd11d4b]
> 3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
[0x2ab9fcd1422c]
> 4: /usr/bin/X(Dispatch+0x2e0) [0x447b60]
> 5: /usr/bin/X(main+0x47d) [0x43033d]
> 6: /lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xf4) [0x2ab9fc04d164]
> 7: /usr/bin/X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x279) [0x42f679]
>
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
>
> Now based on this it seems that AIGLX fails because it
cannot find a file -
> the thing is though, if I start an xterm session and then
start kde or XFCE
> from inside THAT - it works just fine. So whatever causes it
to look for
> AIGLX only happens if the session is launched from KDM
directly.
Do you have dri? Try glxinfo | grep direct.

> Hence my suspicion that this may be an incompatibillity
with nouveau from
> the KDM side. But since I am not absolutely sure, I thought I
would first
> ask the developers for insight before logging a bug report
with either
> project.
>
> Ciao
> A.J.
I can't see how this could be possibly be caused from KDM.
However, I can't see how it could not be caused by KDM. Have
you got it set to use XGL or something similar?

devel#unsub to

--
Michael Howell
mhowell123@gmail.com