List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 4.2 and DBUS
From:       Sascha Peilicke <sasch.pe () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-10-21 21:09:30

On Tuesday 21 October 2008 19:49:24 David Boosalis wrote:
> When I run KDE 4.2 ( SVN Trunk)  on my Kubuntu  distribution which is
> running KDE 4.1.2.  I am unable to get any dbus notifications from a KDE
> application I have created. I have modified /etc/init.d/kde-kdm to launch
> kdm from the KDE I have in my build directory which is "/home/david/kde".
> Everything seems to run and work except for getting DBUS messages.  The
> DBus messages do work in my applications if I am running a 4.1.2 desktop.
>
> Any hints as to what is wrong and possible fixes or work arounds greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> David
Ubuntu guys seem to have changed DBUS related setup, I use the "kde-devel
user" approach for developing KDE trunk, when I "su kde-devel" i'm not able to
connect to the old session Bus of my user, thus I created a little wrapper
script that does that when I fire up Xephyr/KDE4.2 [1]. Have u tested wether
DBUS actually runs and is accessible via "qdbus" tool on the command line?

Here's my wrapper script:

#!/bin/bash

/usr/dbus-daemon --fork --session
/usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session $HOME/kde/bin/nested_kde4 &

You should be able to customize this for your needs
--
Sascha