List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE-3.5.10+ FAM, INotify, DNotify
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-09-19 4:29:12

Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 17.09.08 15:39:31, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> What is the status of file alteration monitoring in the KDE-3.5
>> BRANCH?
>>
>> The last release of FAM was 2.7.0 in +/- 11/2003.  I obtained a
>> DNotify patch from a link at Linux From Scratch:
>>
>> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/downloads/6.1/fam-2.7.0-dnotify-1.patch
>>

>> After 6.1, BLFS replaced it with Gamin.
>>
>> I find that FAM will still compile with only minor tweaks to the
>> Includes.
>
> Gamin is a drop-in replacement for FAM,

Yes, I have read that.  However, Gamin dox say that it is only a subset
of FAM.

> so it doesn't matter wether you build kdelibs against fam or gamin,
> it'll still work when you replace it with the other one. I'm not sure
>  though what distro's build against by default, but at least in
> debian I still have the option of installing either fam or gamin.

Perhaps we need to update:

http://www.kde.org/info/requirements/3.5.php

I am currently using FAM and have installed Gamin only for GNOME.
Strigi says that it prefers Gamin, so I tell it to look in my GNOME
directory. It appears that I should switch to Gamin for KDE as well.

I also note that I haven't seen any recent releases to Gamin (0.1.9 is
27-Jul-2007).  While FAM seems to be no longer being maintained, it
stopped with a mature release (2.7).  Wonder what he future is going to
be.  Can we use INotify in the Kernel directly on Linux and what about
other OSes.

--
JRT