List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Status of NetworkManager UIs?
From:       "Christopher Blauvelt" <cblauvelt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-08-30 14:21:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 4:45 PM, Connor Kirwan <cdkirwan@gmail.com> wrote:

> The current status of NetworkManager 0.7 frontends for KDE3/KDE4 seems
> murky. As far as I can tell there are three such projects in KDE svn
> (listed along with results of my testing):
>
> * knetworkmanager-0.7 [1] -- The original KDE3/Qt3 frontend updated
> for NM 0.7 (somewhat functional but major bugs due to NM API tweaks)
> * knetworkmanager4 [2] -- The beginnings of a port of the above to
> KDE4/Qt4 (incomplete and doesn't compile)
> * networkmanager [3] -- Applet written from scratch for KDE4/Plasma,
> uses Solid to interface with NM and other backends (compiles but
> doesn't seem to run; lead dev seems to have disappeared)
>
> What are the plans for each of these projects and where is development
> being discussed? Are these projects coordinating? Which will be the
> "official" KDE4 frontend to NetworkManager?
>
> [1]
> http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/knetworkmanager/knetworkmanager-0.7
> [2] http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/utils/knetworkmanager4
> [3]
> http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/base/plasma/applets/networkmanager

> unsubscribe <<

Reference [3] I haven't disappeared yet.  I haven't committed anything in
quite a while and my time on IRC has been very limited due to work.  I have
created a proof-of-concept UserSettings Manager for for NM which connects to
a particular profile that I have setup and integrates with KWallet.  Will
Stephenson will also be helping out with this to bring it to fruition.  As
far as the "official" front-end, I have no idea which one it will be.
Chris