List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Status of NetworkManager UIs?
From:       "Connor Kirwan" <cdkirwan () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-08-29 21:45:28

The current status of NetworkManager 0.7 frontends for KDE3/KDE4 seems
murky. As far as I can tell there are three such projects in KDE svn
(listed along with results of my testing):

* knetworkmanager-0.7 [1] -- The original KDE3/Qt3 frontend updated
for NM 0.7 (somewhat functional but major bugs due to NM API tweaks)
* knetworkmanager4 [2] -- The beginnings of a port of the above to
KDE4/Qt4 (incomplete and doesn't compile)
* networkmanager [3] -- Applet written from scratch for KDE4/Plasma,
uses Solid to interface with NM and other backends (compiles but
doesn't seem to run; lead dev seems to have disappeared)

What are the plans for each of these projects and where is development
being discussed? Are these projects coordinating? Which will be the
"official" KDE4 frontend to NetworkManager?

[1] http://websvn.kde.org/branches/work/knetworkmanager/knetworkmanager-0.7
[2] http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/utils/knetworkmanager4
[3] http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/base/plasma/applets/networkmanager