List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror to inform about hard links?
From:       "John Tapsell" <johnflux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-08-29 13:18:28

2008/8/29 Thiago Macieira <thiago@kde.org>:
> On Sexta 29 Agosto 2008 11:23:45 macintoshzoom wrote:
>> Is that a hard task? I have a porwerful box, and I'm not
>> afraid about hard tasks.
>
> It's a very hard task. You need to scan the entire filesystem. That means
> something between ten minutes to an hour of intense disk I/O. All your memory
> caches will be thrown away. Performance will be extremely lousy while that
> task is running as well as just after it.

It might be worth doing in the properties box however.  You can
imagine the properties dialog box of a file indicating the number of
hard links, with a button to scan through the whole hard disk to find
where the rest of the files.  If this was done nicely i see no reason
not to have it.

John Tapsell