List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror to inform about hard links?
From:       "Michael Howell" <mhowell123 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-08-29 13:19:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 2:23 AM, macintoshzoom <macintoshzoom@lavabit.com>wrote:

> To make konqueror regularly or by demand "scan the whole filesystem" is
> possible? Is that a hard task?

The easiest and probably best way is to somehow have strigi index the inode
number. The other way would involve a kded module or an entirely new daemon.
Showing a different icon for files with more than one inode, and using
strigi to look up the other names, would make sense.

Yes I trust my OpenBSD, but not blindly.

Makes perfect sense, particularly since OpenBSD is a really
security-oriented BSD distribution.

> I am building an OpenBSD-KDE distro.
> And I want to know why it's storing those GB files hard-linked to
> different subfolders (in such way that I can't know via standard KDE
> tools what is the real space left free on my box, that this is YES a
> matter of issue for me.

Do you know why they aren't using soft links? They'd be easier to manage,
for sure. It's also easier to archive a system with soft links as opposed to
hard links (e.g. cp -R and tar -c give you multiple copies of the same
file).

--
Michael Howell
mhowell123@gmail.com