List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror to inform about hard links?
From:       "John Tapsell" <johnflux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-08-29 8:21:10

> BUT Konqueror was unable to tell me about that, this is an issue to me.
> When requesting Konqueror about used space (properties) of each folder
> it doesn't recognize that there are some GB of space that are not really
> occupied, but only are from the same file but hard linked to different
> subfolders.

Yes, this is a bug that could be fixed.  Keep a hash of the inodes
when checking the total used disk space.

> My clue and idea:
> Konqueror, via a plugin or the like, or enabling this feature somewhere
> in a settings menu, could AT LEAST check for duplicate # inode numbered
> files and mark them with a specific icon, similar as the soft links or so.

A simple icon for when the number of inodes is greater than 1 - should
be straightforward to do.

> And tools as kwikdisk, kdiskfree, kdirstat and the like must also inform
> the user about this.

Yes probably each of these could be fixed.

> Question:
> If I delete one (from konqueror su) of this "duplicate hard linked"
> files, will I get back my free space

No.  The dialog box could warn the user of this, but it might be
difficult to present and explain this information in a friendly way.

> will all the hard linked files
> with the same # inode be deleted at the same time?
No

> Or Have i to delete them one per one?
Yes/

> When I delete the original file that is soft linked somewhere else, the
> soft links doesn't work anymore.

Right.  That's the difference between soft links and hard links.