List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: GRUB Configuration Application/KCModule
From:       Konstantinos Smanis <kon.smanis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-08-22 6:59:53

On Friday 22 August 2008 03:21:01 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Hi Konstantinos,
>
> On Tuesday 12 August 2008 14:08:36 Konstantinos Smanis wrote:
> > I am developing a GRUB Configuration application, named KGRUBEditor
> > (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/KGRUBEditor?content=75442)
>
> Does your application handle the magic lines that Debian and Ubuntu add to
> the top, and which are then turned into a config file by update-grub?
>
> (Otherwise, each time a new kernel is installed (and update-grub run as an
> effect of that), you'll loose custom made changes without warning. That was
> the issue last time I reviewed an application similar to yours.

Well, for the past 2 releases AutoMagic is recognised and does not get deleted
from the file (all other comments are automatically removed). That means that
KGRUBEditor also recognises which entries(=titles in GRUB terminology) are
"protected" from AutoMagic and acts accordingly (eg. the user cannot move them
out of the AutoMagic boundaries).

I am not sure if this is what you really meant, because KGRUBEditor can't
handle the AutoMagic options (eg. defoptions, howmany, savedefault etc.) These
options are just preserved and if the user wants to edit them, he should go
manual-editing.