List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: GRUB Configuration Application/KCModule
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-15?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-08-25 11:44:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday 22 August 2008 08:59:53 Konstantinos Smanis wrote:
> On Friday 22 August 2008 03:21:01 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > Hi Konstantinos,
> >
> > On Tuesday 12 August 2008 14:08:36 Konstantinos Smanis wrote:
> > > I am developing a GRUB Configuration application, named KGRUBEditor
> > > (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/KGRUBEditor?content=75442)
> >
> > Does your application handle the magic lines that Debian and Ubuntu add
> > to the top, and which are then turned into a config file by update-grub?
> >
> > (Otherwise, each time a new kernel is installed (and update-grub run as
> > an effect of that), you'll loose custom made changes without warning.
> > That was the issue last time I reviewed an application similar to yours.
>
> Well, for the past 2 releases AutoMagic is recognised and does not get
> deleted from the file (all other comments are automatically removed). That
> means that KGRUBEditor also recognises which entries(=titles in GRUB
> terminology) are "protected" from AutoMagic and acts accordingly (eg. the
> user cannot move them out of the AutoMagic boundaries).
>
> I am not sure if this is what you really meant, because KGRUBEditor can't
> handle the AutoMagic options (eg. defoptions, howmany, savedefault etc.)
> These options are just preserved and if the user wants to edit them, he
> should go manual-editing.

The user needs to be made aware of that then. Otherwise, you'll have the
system upgrader overwrite your changes, potentially making the system
unbootable (without even being told that the grub configuration has been
reset).

Ideally, your app would manipulate the magic lines in the config files, and
then run update-grub where appropriate. That way you make sure that those
tools don't get in each others way. It *does* mean you have to have different
ways of setting up the grub config file, based on the distribution (or do all
of them use the update-grub method by now ...)?
--
sebas