List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Patches and enhancements for KDE 3.5
From:       Benoit Minisini <gambas () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2008-07-22 12:32:08

On mardi 22 juillet 2008, Robert Knight wrote:
> Hi Benoit,

Hi,

> Commit access is given out very freely in KDE but the recommended
> practice is to get a few patches reviewed and committed by other
> developers first.  After you get an account set up, you should get your
> patches reviewed by appropriate developers (unless they tell you
> otherwise) and then you can commit them yourself when they approve it.
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute
>
> If the program has a development mailing list (see the 'Contact' section
> on its web site) that is usually the first place to propose a patch.
> Alternatively kde-devel@kde.org if the information is not available.
>
> To find out who specifically is involved with the program, go to Help ->
> About <Application> in the program and look at the Authors tab.  The
> best person to ask is usually the one credited as the 'Maintainer'.
> Also worth looking at are the names of developers who have most recently
> made changes to the application.  You can see this by looking at the
> 'Author' column for the source files at http://websvn.kde.org

Thanks for your answer.

I have just subscribed to the kwrite-devel mailing-list and have sent a mail
about my patch. Waiting for the answer now...

> As far as I know, KDE 3 is open for bug fixes but not new features or
> changes to translated (i18n("...")) messages.  If you want to add new
> features, please check out KDE 4 (see instructions at
> http://techbase.kde.org)

I added this new feature (the quick browser regexp) just to see if I could do
it. And because I wanted it for a while. Otherwise, no new translation is
needed, as I added just one string that is already translated.

As for working on KDE 4, it is too early for me. The KDE 4.1 RC1 is not usable
on my machine at the moment - maybe in October with the release of Mandriva
2009 with a more recent QT4 library.

Regards,

--
Benoit Minisini