List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KConfig SQL backend
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-07-22 9:06:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 22 July 2008, A.J. Venter wrote:
> 2) Scripted configs would require additional binary support for the
> specific type of SQL layer.

these should be using kreadconfig and kwriteconfig if they are meant to work in
a general setting.

> 3) If this is even to be considered, I would say stick with SQLite or some
> such as default - requiring a DB server just to run a desktop is.... scary.

this wouldn't be the default. making backends pluggable is Good (tm) for this
reason

> 2) This could have VERY interesting uses for shared config profiles using
> DB replication, but it would probably need SOME mechanism for local
> override - so having say a central MySQL server from which initial settings
> are loaded, and a local one, or SQLite DB in which overrides are stored.

this is probably the primary possible benefit. LDAP and Samba integration are
probably bigger wins in this category imho.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se