List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KConfig SQL backend
From:       "A.J. Venter" <aj.venter () datacash ! co ! za>
Date:       2008-07-22 8:49:32

> Interesting work. What's the advantage of a SQL backend over the file
> backend? How does it compare performance-wise?

Instant thoughts:
Cons:
1) A SQL backend is MUCH harder for hand-hacking config files. Almost anybody
can handle a text editor - it may not be a preffered approach for end-users
but it's there if needed. Most people cannot handle SQL - even through a
frontend.
2) Scripted configs would require additional binary support for the specific
type of SQL layer.
3) If this is even to be considered, I would say stick with SQLite or some
such as default - requiring a DB server just to run a desktop is.... scary.

Pros:
1) SQL with a good engine can be faster than flat files.
2) This could have VERY interesting uses for shared config profiles using DB
replication, but it would probably need SOME mechanism for local override -
so having say a central MySQL server from which initial settings are loaded,
and a local one, or SQLite DB in which overrides are stored.
3) SQL is easier to handle programmatically than INI's because it's already a
programming language.

So that's what popped up in my head instantly - with more thought, I'm sure
both lists can be greatly expanded.

A.J.
--
AJ Venter
Linux System Administrator

Tel (direct): +44 (0)20 7421 4520
Mobile: +27 (0)83 455 9978

DataCash Ltd, Descartes House,
8 Gate Street, London, WC2A 3HP, United Kingdom.

Tel:  +44 (0)870 7274 761
Fax: +44 (0)870 7274 781

www.datacash.com

DISCLAIMER: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential to
DataCash Group plc and its group companies. It is intended only for the
person to whom it is addressed. If you have received this email in error,
please forward it to info@datacash.com with the subject line "Received in
Error". If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose,
copy, print, distribute or rely on this email or any transmitted files.
DataCash Ltd is registered in England and Wales no. 3430157. DataCash Ltd is
part of the DataCash Group plc. DataCash Group plc is registered in England
and Wales no. 3168091. DataCash Ltd and DataCash Group plc registered address
is Descartes House, 8 Gate Street, London, WC2A 3HP, United Kingdom.

Save a tree...Please only print this page if essential