List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Suggestion about a project workflow system
From:       Tom Albers <tomalbers () kde ! nl>
Date:       2008-06-27 15:57:37

Op vrijdag 27 juni 2008 11:53 schreef u:
> Some emails ago, someone said that using a project management tool means
> duplicate the work for developers.
>
> I'm sure that it is not true.
>
> Developers, instead of keeping updated a plain text file, or whatever else
> their are used to, should all use the same centralized system.
>
> I hope that actually, for a good development, developers are doing this two
> basilar things:
> - write down somehere what they plan (1)
> - track what they have done (2)
>
> About (2) this is actually done directly on the SVN commit.
>
> We need only a system for keeping the development plan (1) and when something
> is done:
> - if this implements a planned feature, this will automatically marked as done
> (there is the need of something which will connect SVN commits with the
> development plan, something like it is done with BUG: # for closing bugzilla
> reports);
> - if this implements a not planned feature, this will be automatically added
> to the implemented features on the development plan.
>

> This will improve a lot the communication from devs to users.
>

> A good automation could be to transform wishes from b.k.o (when approved) to
> planned features in the project management system. When this will be
> implemented the corresponding "WISH" will be automatically closed.
>

> The correct workflow will be:
>
> 1) users/devs/contributors can discuss about not planned features (in a way
> that I'll explain at a later time). Call this discussions D1.
>
> 2 (optional) ) When the discussion D1 has enough informations a WISH can be
> added on b.k.o ( B1)
>
> 3) if the new feature discussed on the first point is approved by developers
> it will be added in the project management system (if needed, simply
> confirming the wish B1). We can call this F1
>
> 4) at a certain time one developer (or more) will implement the feature F1
>
> 5) developer(s) will commits it and, while doing this, he will mark the
> feature F1 as implemented. Automatically F1 will be marked as done and B1
> will be closed.
>
> A further automation could be to do a link from the initial users discussion
> to F1, so all commenters of discussion D1 will be informed about the
> implementation of F1.
>

> Again, what do you (developers) think about this?
> I'm trying to analyze the question so I need a good feedback :-)
>

> Thanks again to all! :-)
>

> Regards.

Hi,

First of all I think it is great you guys are trying to find a solution for these \
problems.

Although you outlined the system very well, I see some problems. The connection \
between F and D is fragile and should be done by the same system, as Ossi already \
indicated. Trac has this for example. You can schedule bugs and features for a \
certain release.

It's probably the same as the changelog we use for the kde releases, it is man made, \
and we all agree that's a waste of resources. Basically there is just one \
core-problem and you want to have different 'views' on it to generated user parsable \
text for the changelog and for your overview.

Does anyone know if the next bugzilla can cover some of the current issues we have \
with bugzilla? I prefer to have just one tool that's scalable for all purposes. ( \
including review board )

Toma