List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Suggestion about a project workflow system
From:       Michael Leupold <lemma () confuego ! org>
Date:       2008-06-27 16:46:13

Disclaimer: I have no idea how bugzilla works, I'm just taking guesses :)

Am Freitag, 27. Juni 2008 schrieb Oswald Buddenhagen:
> On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 11:53:28AM +0200, FiNeX wrote:
> > 3) if the new feature discussed on the first point is approved by
> > developers it will be added in the project management system (if
> > needed, simply confirming the wish B1). We can call this F1
> this "project management system" is *exactly* what bugz is supposed to
> be already. we just need a) a bugz that does not suck b) people to
> adjust wish summaries into a form that can be directly used for
> generating a feature list out of them and c) developers creating bug
> reports for themselves (so basically every commit that completes a
> noteworthy feature corresponds to a bug).

Yes. I think bugz should be able to do that. Basically all it would need is
some component to administer upcoming revisions and attach
bugs/wishes/planned features to them (basically a roadmap system). I've
worked with a trac install in the past and it integrates stuff like that
pretty conveniently.

> even with a perfect bugzilla (and an offline-tool to make working with
> it actually bearable) this is still more tedious than just editing your
> own freestyle todo file, so in any case you'll face acceptance problems.

I agree. Working with such a system takes more time and is a little more
tedious than just keeping your local todo file and I'm not sure everyone
would adopt it. However it provides some more transparency and might reduce
uninformed rant. It might also provide a "todo basket" for developers who
like it (could collect bugs you'd like to fix and features/wishes you'd like
to implement by just moving them on your todo/roadmap list).

Judging from what Anne and Aaron (iirc) wrote there are also people who'd like
to mediate between users and developers so maybe there's also someone who'd
like to help those developers who don't have time to work all their stuff
into bugz and keep it up-to-date - sort of like a bugsquad for roadmaps :)

Regards,
Michael