List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: (was "Open question...)
From:       AnneWilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2008-06-27 15:33:54

On Friday 27 June 2008 14:01:27 FiNeX wrote:
> > That would be your 'workflow' message?
>
> Yes :-)
>
> > It sounds good to me, but then of
> > course I'm not a dev and wouldn't be using it :-)  What I envisage is
> > more of an end-user's explanation page, for things that frequently come
> > up regarding language or implementation/expectations.  I can see great
> > value in that linking to your database.
>
> All extra information, which are not directly linked to development can be
> managed by a wiki sytem, of course.
>
> Anne, I've a question about who should mantain this informations:
> contributors or even users? Because if only contributors are allowed to
> mantain this informations, probably it is more easy to use a standard CMS
> than a wiki which is more user-centric. Don't you think?
>
> bye!
>

> P.S: I don't know why I've changed the subject :-)

I think that, if we want this to be taken seriously, we can't have it open to
all users to edit.  The Mandrake user wiki that I helped start had a lot of
very good information, but it becomes difficult to sort the wheat from the
chaff if you get a lot of contributors.  I think it would be more helpful if
the necessary info pages were edited by a small group - not discounting
granting write privs to others later if required.  Part of our remit as acting
go-betweens would be to publicise the existence of the pages as a resource on
various mailing lists and through local LUGs.

I don't know how the devs would take to us using the CMS.  It may be that if
they felt we were a controlled and controllable group :-) it would be fine.
I can face a learning curve, as long as it isn't so steep that I never get
any content done.  The OP that contacted me off-list is a minor code
contributor, so probably knows something of the CMS already.

I don't care how we get there, as long as we get something done.  The current
situation of user distrust is not doing us any favours.  I've been horrified
at the hide-bound attitudes that I've seen from long-time KDE users on the
Fedora list.  It's time to fight back.

Anne