List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Open question to all developers.
From:       Malte Dik <malte.dik () web ! de>
Date:       2008-06-26 19:49:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Aaron J. Seigo schrieb:
> KDE Users Advisory Council
This answers the "what", but what about the "how"? I saw this council being
mentioned somewhere. So who invented it and has the person / have the people
documented more than a "We could need such a council."?

> i do think all the necessary human pieces exist "out there" on the
> internet, it just needs some organization.
It will be hard communicating this over the internet, because the direct need
(and benefit) is not on the users but the developers side.

> > And to the wiki-idea: http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=KDE4
> > It was last edited december 2007. Forget it. It won't work.
>
> and yet techbase works really rather well. what's the difference?
> management.

I beg to differ. It's the need. The user-side of KDE is documented in several
distro-related wikis out there - at least the Ubuntu wiki of the german
community (brilliant [1], you may just tell by how it is structured) and the
english OpenSuse wiki (bit confusing, but OK). An own KDE-user-wiki seems
needless to me.

> a wiki isn't magic: it needs tending, it needs care, it needs an editorial
> board of some sort to keep it going nicely.
>
> a user info centric wiki run like techbase is would, imho, work
> wonderfully. unlike wiki.kde.org (where the software works fine, but the
> content doesn't)

Actually, it isn't running wonderfully. To me, wiki.kde.org is the user-run
wiki you're talking about. It's editable by anyone, it covers topics users
want to have covered, yet it is dead like an overeutrophicated lake (I wasn't
there, but I guess it went the way all dead wikis went).

Just to make it clear: There was an approach to create what you described
above, it went horribly wrong (I just read through some wikipages. It's
embarassing.), BUT if we want to do it again and are willing to learn from
mistakes, I'm 51%-convinced it will work (and 52%-willing to help ;)). Maybe
we could even get some brain from our new friends at Wikimedia :D

Good lord, i'd be dead without krunner and leo:!

Malte