List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Help needed with KDiff3 service menu plugin
From:       Joachim Eibl <joachim.eibl () gmx ! de>
Date:       2008-06-16 22:49:50

Am Montag 16 Juni 2008 03:30:37 schrieb Carsten Lohrke:
> Not so accidentally I pondered with your desktop entry stuff, too and found
> that the menu plugin desktop files duplicate each other. Please someone
> correct me, if I'm wrong about that; Unfortunately the KDE 3 and 4
> specific .desktop file stuff is not properly documented and a number of key
> names conflict with the desktop entry specification.
>
> At least I can't tell the difference, not having used KDiff3 via the popup
> menu before. Please give the attached patch a try.
>
> From the usability point of view I wondered that I couldn't view a single
> patch, as with Kompare, found the about entry superfluous , if not annyoing
> and wondered that KDiff3 didn't integrate in the actions submenu.
>

> Carsten

Thank you for taking the time to have a look.

I'm afraid a normal service menu won't help me.
The help for KonqPopupMenuPlugin is clear about this:
http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdebase-apps-apidocs/lib/konq/html/classKonqPopupMenuPlugin.html

I need special logic to distinguish if one, two or three files or directories
are chosen. Hence the need for a plugin-lib.

I'm aware of the fact that KDiff3 currently can't open diff/patch files. This
is a function kompare is good at. KDiff3's strength is its support for
merging with a third base file. (Very useful when many people touch the same
files.)

The plugin allows to select one file (or dir), remembers that, and when
selecting the second or third file (e.g. in another directory) allows to
compare these.

After placing the kdiff3_plugin.desktop file in /usr/share/applications/kde4
even
	/usr/bin/ktraderclient --servicetype "KonqPopupMenu/Plugin"
mentions the kdiff3plugin

---- Offer 7 ----
Type : 'Service'
Name : 'Compare/Merge Files/Directories'
Invalid property Comment
Invalid property GenericName
Icon : 'kdiff3'
Invalid property Exec
Terminal : 'FALSE'
Invalid property TerminalOptions
Invalid property Path
ServiceTypes : 'KonqPopupMenu/Plugin - all/all'
AllowAsDefault : 'TRUE'
InitialPreference : '1'
Library : 'libkdiff3plugin'
DesktopEntryPath : '/usr/share/applications/kde4/kdiff3_plugin.desktop'
DesktopEntryName : 'kdiff3_plugin'
Categories : ''

But the libkdiff3plugin.so still isn't loaded.

I've tried to debug konqueror (from svn) but seem to missing something.
In KonqPopupMenuPrivate::addPlugins() my plugin isn't mentioned.

How can I find out where it fails? What's a better place for a breakpoint?

Cheers,
Joachim