List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Users
From:       "Nathan Bradshaw" <nathanlbradshaw () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-06-10 19:00:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

You seem to have forgotten to quote the 'strong exception' that was taken to
your statement so here it is:

JRT: Yes, users are entitled to respect even if they are wrong.

Nathan: maybe if you conducted yourself in any kind of polite manner then
people might show you some respect but your current behavior warrants
nothing but ridicule. You are exactly why developing in public is hard.

so your characterization is, to put it politely, disingenuous to start with.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 2:35 PM, James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@acm.org> wrote:

> {Yes, I know that this is the development list and I am posting this
> here because it is a question for developers.}
>
> I made the statement:
>
>        "[u]sers are entitled to respect even if they are wrong."
>
> And someone took strong exception to it.
>
> Do you agree with that statement, are users entitled to respect?
>
> I ask this because, in the KDE project, there is a lot of negativity
> directed towards users.
>
> What I think is, what should be obvious, that the KDE project has grown
> to a size that its existence is dependent on users.
>
> If there were no users, there would be no KDE project -- at least not in
> its current form and size.

based on what do you make this statement?

> One specific point is that some KDE developers are paid by Linux
> distros.  This would not happen if there were no users.  Where do we
> think that the money to pay these developers comes from.  It isn't from
> the Easter Bunny, it comes from users that pay to purchase distro packages.

yes and as businesses they do what is in their best interests. If they
thought that kowtowing to the every whim of over opinionated
non-contributers was in their best interests, then I'm sure they'd direct
their employees accordingly. How much money have you given to the distros
such that they should be directing their employees accordingly? At the risk
of the financial harm losing you would cause them?

> Yet we treat users in a manner that I think needs improvement.

Users are treated by and large very well. Annoying trolls who make off topic
posts and denigrate the developers and their are treated accordingly.