List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Users
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-06-10 18:35:08

{Yes, I know that this is the development list and I am posting this
here because it is a question for developers.}

I made the statement:

	"[u]sers are entitled to respect even if they are wrong."

And someone took strong exception to it.

Do you agree with that statement, are users entitled to respect?

I ask this because, in the KDE project, there is a lot of negativity
directed towards users.

What I think is, what should be obvious, that the KDE project has grown
to a size that its existence is dependent on users.

If there were no users, there would be no KDE project -- at least not in
its current form and size.

One specific point is that some KDE developers are paid by Linux
distros.  This would not happen if there were no users.  Where do we
think that the money to pay these developers comes from.  It isn't from
the Easter Bunny, it comes from users that pay to purchase distro packages.

Yet we treat users in a manner that I think needs improvement.

--
JRT