List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fork of KDE4/Qt3?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-06-10 14:06:13

Stefan Majewsky wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 June 2008 04:41:11 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> The fact that KDE-4.0/4.0.x was/is basically useless is clearly a valid
>> reason to release KDE-4.1 sooner rather than later.
>
> KDE 4.0.x is basically useless? So there must be an issue with the versions
> displayed in my package management system, it says that KDE 4.0.4 is installed
> but the desktop is working fine.

It is useless not because it doesn't work, but due to the lack of
features.  OTOH, if you installed a distro's binary, it is highly
probable that you do not actually have the same KDE-4.0.4 desktop as you
would if you installed from source.  Many distros have modified their
4.0.x releases to include some of the 4.1 features.

My point, which it appears that you missed is that there is little point
id doing more work on the KDE-4.0 BRANCH, that instead we should release
the 4.1 BRANCH soon even if it is still lacking in features.

--
JRT