List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Introduction
From:       Benoît_Jacob <jacob () math ! jussieu ! fr>
Date:       2008-06-10 13:39:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi John!

> but when I read this snippet I
> figured I should just do exactly what Benoit suggested.

I'm glad if this nonsensical thread will have had at least one positive
outcome!

> I've already
> poked at Kopete a little bit, writing a protocol plugin.

Excellent! Why not get in touch with the Kopete developers directly then ?
Perhaps they'd be interested in your plugin; and perhaps having already some
Kopete experience will make it much easier for you to get started there!

The mailing list is kopete-devel, see here:

They probably also have a IRC channel but I don't know which -- probably
#kopete ... it's usually the nicest way to get in touch with a team.

> Are there any fun quickie tasks to help me get into a project? :)

Of course, all over KDE there is a lot of fun tasks and never enough
developers :)

Some pointers based on my own little biased experience:

The KDE-Edu team (educational/scientific apps for everybody from kid to
university student) is a very, very friendly and welcoming one. Many KDE
developers started there, this team is really used to welcoming new people
and does it very well. Of course it also has its share of long-term/guru
contributors. KDE-Edu is usually able to provide a very wide range of funny
tasks to get started.

If you're interested you should stick around on #kde-edu on irc.freenode.net.

On another note, KOffice (channel: #koffice, mailing list: koffice-devel) has
a lot of work to do so they'll probably welcome anybody offering to help.

That's all I know about from my own experience :)

Good luck
Benoit