List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fork of KDE4/Qt3?
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-06-10 3:28:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 09 June 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> The method of resizing widgets sucks.  The whole idea of those pop-up
> boarders should be reconsidered -- they are not better than using a
> context menu.

you realize that the current way those popup borders are implemented was a
work around qt 4.3's inability to do many things in QGraphicsView as well as
it does now? (not that there don't remain many issue in it)

that changes in Qt 4.4 broke how they work in trunk?

that Qt 4.4 has these kinds of features because some of us didn't just go, "oh
well, can't be done"

having an immediately available (discoverable, usable) way of resizing,
rotating, configuring is a good idea. the implementation was hampered by the
tools we had. by pushing at the tools, the tools have grown. and so we will be
able to make the on-hover control a lot slicker.

i don't expect anyone to have know any of the above, of course.

> And, yes, you are correct that it should be possible to
> adjust the transparency.

it's up to the svg theme to provide this.

> Since this was a standard KDE3 feature, I do
> not understand why it is missing.

you know who implemented that feature? two people working on plasma (me being
one of them). think about it.

and i can point to lots of kde3 features that don't exist in kde4. aRts, for
example.

> And, lastly, you are correct that the rhetoric is totally uncalled for.
>   We need objective discussion of how to best implement KDE and rhetoric

we have. for years. apparently you missed it.

> Developers need to argue the facts rather than make
> ad hominem  comments.

coming from you in support of David Johnson, that's an ironic statement.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se