List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fork of KDE4/Qt3?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-06-10 2:50:27

David Johnson wrote:
> On Monday 09 June 2008 12:00:06 am Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>> so yes, i'm not stupid in the head. i know what you mean and i'm telling
>> you: it's not a box in the corner when it's used as the containment, in
>> fact it works the same way kdesktop did in that case.
>
> I spent some more time with a folderview. I must be stupid in the head,
> because no amount of poking or prodding would make it act like the old
> KDesktop. I tried to resize it so it fit the screen, and then it started to
> resemble the old way. But it was too difficult to size it correctly, and I
> could find no way to get rid of the translucent black background. I suppose
> it I could write an "invisible" plasma theme, but that just doesn't feel like
> the "right solution. Is there a "use as containment" configuration item I
> should have used? I looked and looked but could not find one.
>
> Now before you get all pissy on me again, I am not criticizing you as a
> person. I do see that the new way of doing things can be an improvement over
> what someone else has called the "80ies" GUI. But sarcastic replies do
> nothing to sell the concept to me.

Before someone pisses on you again, let me say that you are correct.
The method of resizing widgets sucks.  The whole idea of those pop-up
boarders should be reconsidered -- they are not better than using a
context menu.  And, yes, you are correct that it should be possible to
adjust the transparency.  Since this was a standard KDE3 feature, I do
not understand why it is missing.

And, lastly, you are correct that the rhetoric is totally uncalled for.
  We need objective discussion of how to best implement KDE and rhetoric
intended to silence views that are at odds with the party line servers
no useful purpose.  Developers need to argue the facts rather than make
ad hominem  comments.

--
JRT