List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fork of KDE4/Qt3?
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-06-10 2:41:11

Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Monday 09 June 2008, Mark A. Taff wrote:
>
>  > On Monday 09 June 2008 14:38:57 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>
>  > > we can't add UI for this in 4.1 (freezes being what they are) but
> plasma
>
>  > > will have a gui to switch your containment choices in 4.2.
>
>  >

>  > Then perhaps it should be unfrozen, and the release pushed back a few
>
>  > months until core desktop functionality is implemented?
>
> Please let me know how the policy of not releasing a product until it is
> perfect works out for Perl 6... if you ever hear of Perl again that is.

Nice 'Straw Man".  Note for the record that basic functionality is
clearly not the same as "perfect".

> Although we appreciate the constructive advice telling us to push back a
> release is not helpful. If you choose to use KDE 4 once we have
> implemented everything you require, great. But until then you can still
> use KDE 3 or whatever other desktop you prefer. Those already using KDE
> 4 deserve the much better release that will be 4.1.

The fact that KDE-4.0/4.0.x was/is basically useless is clearly a valid
reason to release KDE-4.1 sooner rather than later.  OTOH, having to
wait till 4.2 for "core desktop functionality" is not a good situation.

So, although we should still be releasing RCs, Betas, or perhaps even
Alphas for 4.0, I would not suggest delaying the release of 4.1, it is
too late to delay releases -- it is 4.0 that should have been delayed.

--
JRT