List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fork of KDE4/Qt3?
From:       "Mark A. Taff" <marktaff () comcast ! net>
Date:       2008-06-10 1:48:15

On Monday 09 June 2008 17:42:42 Christopher Blauvelt wrote:
> Then write it, or pay someone to do it.

Which is *exactly* what the topic of this thread is.  Should we fork KDE? Or
Kdesktop? Or fix Plasma?

Of course, you are only joking.  I seriously doubt kcd would allow us to start
screwing with Plasma to reimplement missing desktop features.  The first time
we changed something in a way that didn't fit into the Plasma devs idea of
the Right-Way, my svn credentials would probably be yanked straight away.

Even if I had the money, which I don't (though I have traditionally been a
financial supporter of some KDE software), I would not be permitted to pay
someone to implement what I wanted if what I wanted happened to conflict with
Aaron's roadmap for Plasma.

The fact is, "write it or pay someone to do it" only applies *after* you have
won the debate, at least within the confines of a software project.

> In the mean time, you could just
> say "Thank You." for the literally thousands of man-hours that an almost
> all volunteer group has put into making a new and featureful desktop.

I could, but if it's all the same to you, I will wait until a product is
produced that I actually find useful.  I like to be thankful for something
before I say thanks.  I can give them an e for effort, but KDE4 isn't useful
to me (at least not yet), but I am quite thankful for all the effort that
went into making KDE 3.5.9.  I hope one day (sooner rather than later) to be
equally thankful for all the effort that went into producing KDE4.

--Mark