List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Fork of KDE4/Qt3?
From:       "Mark A. Taff" <marktaff () comcast ! net>
Date:       2008-06-10 0:50:06

On Monday 09 June 2008 16:45:39 David Edmundson wrote:
> I'm wiling to bet you haven't actually used folder view on a day-to-day
> basis yet. No-one has set in stone that that is how a Desktop should work,
> it's just a tradition. You'll get used to it very quickly.

No David, I haven't used it really on a "day-to-day" basis yet, as based on my
multi-day trials on a non-production machine thus far, KDE 4 is neither
stable nor feature complete enough for production use.  From what I've seen,
even KDE 4.1 will lack a real desktop.  Rather odd, I submit, for a "Desktop
Environment.".

> With the attitude the people posting here seem to have KDE won't have any
> changes, and by the time we reach KDE 7 it will look and act identical to
> how KDE3 works.

I thought I was clear--noone is suggesting that KDE not change, or evolve, or
implement potentially killer new features and interfaces.  All we are asking
for is for is the freedom to continue using interfaces that work *very, very,
well* for a great many of us.

If the new features really are all that, then let us come to them in our own
time, rather than trying to force the experimental interfaces on us now, and
then taking the attitude "oh, we might get around to implementing the tried
and true method at some undetermined point in the future."

> Anyway, I'm finding this whole topic rather depressing and I haven't put
> anywhere near as much time and effort as many of the people on this list
> have. I thought I'd find brighten up this thread by posting some of the
> feeback I've heard about KDE4 from the Forum I'm on (Loughborough Computer
> Society)

I agree.  It is quite depressing to have KDE 4.1's release just around the
corner, and knowing that it *still* isn't going to have a real desktop.

Regards,

Mark