List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Extensions and Plugins
From:       Ian Wadham <ianw2 () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2008-05-18 23:37:01

On Mon, 19 May 2008 03:11 am, Fábio Firmo wrote:
> Plugin has no translation in portuguese, we have to let it there,
> untouched. This confuses anyone who don't know english or don't know
> technical terms, which is the broader share of end users.I think other
> languages has the same problem.

As an English speaker, born and bred, and a computer professional
of 44 years' experience, I can tell you I am also confused.  I have
only a small idea of what a "plugin" really is or why I need one.  Calling
it an "extension" or an "add-on" is no help either.  Trouble is my last field
of expertise was in large Unix database systems, not in IBM-compatible
PCs (I am now retired).

IMHO it is nice to use a plain English word for a technical item, but it is
also essential to have explanations ready to hand, otherwise the
"plugins" or whatever go unused.  This is one reason why I am still
"plugging" away with "vi" rather than spend time trying to understand Kate.

For an example of a good way to handle this stuff, see Tools->Add-ons
in Firefox and the link in the dialog that comes up, taking you to a whole
descriptive catalog of Add-ons of various kinds.  IIRC, when I first installed
Firefox, it also came up with a list and descriptions of commonly used
add-ons, which helped me get started.

My 2 Aussie cents, Ian W.