List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: About the GSoC program
From:       Mauricio Piacentini <piacentini () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-04-22 11:41:52

 >i don't think having a long discussion about this on the devel mailing
 >list is
 >either very useful, productive or healthy. perhaps bring it up on the
 >kde-soc-mentors mailing list where it is more on topic?

Do you have an URL for this kde-soc-mentors list? It is not listed on
lists.kde.org. Google does not help here as well.
I am also surprised with the result: I was told kdegames had around 10%
of the total proposals, with some good ones. But unfortunately there
were few mentors from kdegames registered. As an example, I did not
register as a mentor because I do not need the monetary incentive at
this time. Which does not mean I was not available to help students that
got selected. But this (not registered as a mentor) automatically
excluded me from the discussion/selection process, which is weird. So I
think the process needs improvements. It is not healthy imo that a
single app (as good as it is) like Amarok got 6 projects assigned and
pre-defined slots, while a whole section of the project t (kdegames, 30
apps aproximately) got none. This is not a critic to Amarok or the
voters, just a realization that improvements can be made incrementally.

Of course, we need constructive criticism, and this is what I want to
provide, for next year. But this needs to be done imo in a very public
place, with lots of input. I do not want to be a mentor now, but I will
subscribe/apply if this is what it takes to participate in the discussion.

Regards,
Mauricio Piacentini