List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: fsync() madness
From:       "Andreas Hartmetz" <ahartmetz () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-04-22 11:43:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

2008/4/22 David Jarvie <djarvie@kde.org>:

> On Monday 21 April 2008 20:38, Esben Mose Hansen wrote:
> > I discussed this with a friend (who liked XFS because it could online
> grow
> > >:)
> > ) and it seems that the worst part of XFS behaviour in this regard was
> > fixed
> > in 2.6.22 --- the bit where any dirty file was zeroed just to be
> sure(!).
> > So
> > maybe we don't have to sync() quite so much now.  He has tested it a lot
> > of
> > times by installing a bios that crashed linux all the time, and it seems
> > to work much better now :)
>
> The fact that the XFS problems were a bug which has now been fixed is
> surely a good illustration of why KDE should not concern itself with OS or
> file system details. It should leave decisions about whether to sync to
> disc to the OS. If there's a problem at that level, it's a system-wide
> problem which needs to be fixed outside KDE.
>
> If KDE tries to preempt OS implementation details like this, it will not
> only (as in this case) reduce performance for everybody, but it will also
> prevent OS/filesystem improvements, when they occur, from feeding through
> to give benefits to the KDE user.

I couldn't agree more. When you enable laptop mode, for example, you make a
conscious decision to lose some safety for longer battery life (*). This
will not work when an upper layer tries to, as somebody put it, second-guess
the OS. There is the ocassional strong reason to do that but I can't see it
here.

(*) "Let's integrate that into KPowersave then!" some might say. I don't.
It's more maintenance for, IMHO, little benefit over just letting the kernel
do its thing.