List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: fsync() madness
From:       Oswald Buddenhagen <ossi () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-04-21 15:59:24

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 06:40:13PM +0300, Sami Liedes wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 08:25:47AM -0700, Gary Greene wrote:
> > Again you are not taking into account XFS. How many times must we
> > iterate over this.... _If you don't have the code check which FS
> > this is on and PROPERLY deal with this, you will kill users data._
>
> Without a power loss?

or a driver-induced crash, etc.

> I don't think so. And data loss on power loss is
> expected to happen on any write back caching fs (i.e. not mounted
> noasync) on power loss. Care to still iterate once?

the problem with xfs (well, actually, to a lesser degree every file
system which has less conservative defaults than ext3) is that it will
lose data which was previously safe. you end up with a config file
(or whatever else) that is stuffed with zeros. i sure do not expect
*that* from a power loss.

Confusion, chaos, panic - my work here is done.