List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Plasma Icons on DeskTop (continued) [Rant]]
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-12-25 13:28:31

Jason Stubbs wrote:
> (first mail to -devel. hello!)
>
> On Tuesday 25 December 2007 18:52:10 JST James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>> I didn't want to continue this on the dot since AJS totally
>> misunderstood my point which was quite simple:
>>
>> It isn't finished yet.
>
> It never will be finished - art is like that. I guess by saying "finished" you
> mean "does everything kde 3.5 does".

What I meant is that part of the code hasn't been written yet.  E.G. you
can't configure the panel (users are already complaining :-() -- it
isn't that it doesn't work, it is that the code to do it doesn't exist.
  It doesn't have to do everything that KDE-3.5 does, but it needs to do
everything that is necessary.

>> It doesn't work.
>
> Tell that to the developers who now use kde4 as their main desktop. I guess
> you mean "doesn't do everything kde 3.5 does".

I don't know what to think about that except that if you don't try to
configure anything, you don't have any problems.  This has always been
an issue, if you use the defaults, there aren't any problems and if you
change things and it doesn't work the complaints are not taken
seriously.  Like I said, developers are in denial about this.

<SNIP>
>> Being realistic, there is only one answer and that is not to release it
>> till it is ready.
>
> If you search back in the archives of kde-core-devel, you'll find a few
> threads with devs debating this very topic. If you haven't ready them, they
> didn't really end harmoniously. ;)

So, my position has lost.  OK, I accept that.  Perhaps as it gets closer
to the release things might change.  Note in this regard that I am
betting on the snowball (There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that
the release will be delayed because it isn't ready.)

> There's still many devs that feel the same way as you, but the release is
> going forward regardless. Just make the best of it. :)

Thank you for your reasonable reply.  I take pride in KDE and will be
be displeased if something is released that doesn't reflect well on
KDE's reputation.  Therefore, I am quite upset about this.  All the more
so, because people seem to think that being rude is the answer rather
than discussing a reasonable difference of opinion as you have done.
Being told that things were fixed when they aren't fixed hasn't helped
either.  I know that they aren't fixed because I have a script to update
and build and I run it at least once a day.

--
JRT