List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KCategorizedView and polishing Systemsettings
From:       Bernhard Beschow <bbeschow () cs ! tu-berlin ! de>
Date:       2007-12-13 9:44:10

Hello,

I'd like to polish systemsettings a bit. The first issue I'd like to resolve
is that sometimes the Reset and Apply buttons need to be scrolled to which is
very annoying. Instead, the configuration modules should become scrollable
themselves if they don't fit inside the view.

My second idea for systemsettings is to replace the current ModuleView by
KCategorizedView in systemsettings. I think KCategorizedView has the same
abstract use case as ModuleView. (Namely, to categorize items) In addition,
it behaves better when resizing. So this should not only eliminate the need
to set the minimum size of systemsettings to QSize(700, 500) but should also
simplify its code base.

Unfortunately, KCategorizedView is currently only available in dolphin. It's
name, however, suggests that it will be part of the KDE standard widgets. So
I wonder what the reason is that it still lives inside dolphin only? Are
there any plans to move KCategorizedView into kdeui? As a workaround, I could
temporarily copy KCategorizedView from dolphin.

What do you think?

Best whishes,
Bernhard