List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KCategorizedView and polishing Systemsettings
From:       Rafael =?iso-8859-1?q?Fern=E1ndez_L=F3pez?= <ereslibre () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-12-13 10:11:45

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Bernhard,

> My second idea for systemsettings is to replace the current ModuleView by
> KCategorizedView in systemsettings. I think KCategorizedView has the same
> abstract use case as ModuleView. (Namely, to categorize items) In addition,
> it behaves better when resizing. So this should not only eliminate the need
> to set the minimum size of systemsettings to QSize(700, 500) but should
> also simplify its code base.

This was already talked at least one time, as I remember. I think I talked
about issue this with Jonathan at some point before.

Well, KCategorizedView will let you categorize as you want. Is designed to
feet almost every need. Please take in count that "the categorized view"
needs more code than only "kcategorizedview.cpp", that is:
kcategorizedview.cpp, kcategorizedview.h, kcategorizedview_p.h,
kcategorydrawer.cpp, kcategorydrawer.h. You will also need to use
kdelibs/kdeui/itemviews/kcategorizedsortfilterproxymodel.h and cpp.

If you have any question about its usage you can ask me whenever you need it.

> Unfortunately, KCategorizedView is currently only available in dolphin.
> It's name, however, suggests that it will be part of the KDE standard
> widgets. So I wonder what the reason is that it still lives inside dolphin
> only? Are there any plans to move KCategorizedView into kdeui? As a
> workaround, I could temporarily copy KCategorizedView from dolphin.

Well, currently there is an open bug report with keyboard navigation in which
I'm working on. The idea was to create this class into Dolphin, and when it
was mature enough, move it to kdelibs.

Yes, our plan is to move it to kdeui/itemviews for 4.1.

There are two options:

1. Wait till it gets into kdelibs in KDE 4.1 and use it.
2. Copy it and use it.

If you apply the 2nd option, please tell me because I am currently working on
a bugfix as I already said :). setSelection() method needs to be almost
rewritten and some polishing on moveCursor(). Anyway, just to know if I also
need to udpate the copy at systemsettings if this is done.

We know that copying is no good, but if there is no chance and the difference
is important between the older view and this one, let's do it.

What I don't know if is we are in time to do so.

> What do you think?

That is :)

Bye and thanks,
Rafael Fernández López

GPG Fingerprint: B9F4 4730 43F8 FFDD CC5E BA8E 724E 406E 3F01 D070