List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Name of Control Center in KDE 4
From:       Eike Hein <hein () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-10-15 13:04:42

Robert Knight wrote:
> To be honest, I would have thought that both 'Control Center' and
> 'System Settings' are good options.  I personally favor the latter
> simply because it is a different name to KDE 3 and it makes it easier
> to talk about the KDE 3 / KDE 4 changes, but it is not a strong
> argument.

You have a point, though. I'm one of the #kde ops
and do quite a bit of end-user support there, which
regularly involves quoting paths to individual pre-
ferences in KControl. Given that those paths will
differ between 3 and 4 in places, I could well
imagine different names preventing some confusion
during the transition time in which we have both
3 and 4 users in the channel.

The difference in naming would quickly become a
distinctive signpost for what version is being
talked about (although the fact that Kubuntu has
System Settings right now muddies those waters a
bit).

--
Regards,
Eike Hein, hein@kde.org