List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Use ~/.etc/kde4 instead of ~/.kde4 for personal configs
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2007-09-22 16:21:27

Richard Hartmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am well aware that with the API freeze, my idea might be too late
> anyway, on the other hand, a major version number change would
> be the perfect opportunity to implement a plan like this.
>

> My proposal is simple:
>
> Use ~/.etc/kde4/ for configuration and data instead of ~/.kde4/ for
> KDE4.
>
> Rationale:
>
> 1) Reduces clutter of the user's home directory.
>
> 2) Puts everything into one place (I will be trying to sway some
> other major apps over the next weeks and months)
>
> 3) Follows the layout of Unix configurations and basic data by
> imitating /etc/
>
> 4) Makes keeping personal etc files in a version control system
> even easier (does probably not apply to KDE)
>

> As KDE already uses ~/.kde4 , the basic idea of grouping those
> files in one common location is already implemented. Look at
> ~/.etc as a logical consequence of applying this idea to all of the
> user's etc files.
>
> I am deliberately trying to sway larger projects first as this would
> create more momentum. And yes, I know that the larger projects
> are harder to be swayed.
>
> I am really sorry that I did not think of proposing this earlier,
> especially as I have been pondering this concept since early this
> year.

You are not going to like this, but the trend is for more files in
$HOME, not less.

The path should be changed to conform to XDG standards:

	$HOME/.kde/share		=>	$HOME/.local/share

However some of the directories now in "$HOME/.kde/share" should also be
moved.

	$HOME/.kde/share/config		=>	$HOME/.config

	$HOME/.kde/share/fonts		=>	$HOME/.fonts

	$HOME/.kde/share/apps/		=>	$HOME/.kdeN

and major KDE apps can/should use the $HOME directory directly:

	$HOME/.kde/share/apps/<app>	=>	$HOME/.<app>

	$HOME/.kde/share/config/<app>rc	=>	$HOME/.<app>/rc

So the only alternative is to use a subdirectory for user data files.

--
JRT