List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE rough edges - file-types in KDE 3
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-09-20 11:06:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 18 September 2007, Ian Wadham wrote:
> I am sorry this post has been so lengthy, but I hope you have had
> a few laughs and I really wanted to get across some flavour of
> what KDE can be like for a first-time user.  And that *is* a matter for
> developers to consider IMHO.

so if i cut through everything here, i see exactly three concrete issues you
raise:

- finding file associations; action items might include:
	- how easy *can* this be made?
	- what are all the ways available now?
	- is this documented in a place people can find said documentation?
	- write patches to make it more obvious in line with the three Qs above
	- is it easier to find right now in kde4's systemsettings vs kcontrol?
- setting file associations
	- write a patch to concretely improve the file associations dialog
- listing of attachments in kmail
	- right now there is a list possible, but it isn't easy to find in the config
	- write a patch to move the inline attachment list (View ->
Attachments -> "As Icons") to just underneath the header; perhaps change 'As
Icons' to simple "list". this won't remove all need for the structure viewer
as that is there for more hard core security requirements AFAIK, but would be
a nice improvement and would be pretty easy to do.

the patch for kmail is probably the easiest of the three actually. it would be
nice to do a visual update to the headers while at it as they are looking a
bit old (oxy artists might be able to help out there..). but yeah, it's a
pretty simple patch since the code to grab the attachments and make a list is
already there, the output just needs to be rearranged a bit. the file to
patch would be kdepim/kmail/kmreaderwin.cpp

so the options are:

- wait for someone else to do it (and don't complain if it doesn't happen soon
enough for you)
- write some patches

and before someone bitches at me for the "write a patch" answer, this is
the -devel list. which is to say, this is precisely where "write a patch" is
the right answer. this is *not* a user support list. =)

> I'm hoping KDE 4.0 will be a lot easier to use ...

as Robert pointed out, some things are better some things are the same.
perhaps a better phrasing would be "hoping KDE4" as that gives us a few more
releases ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se