List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: voice control software like Dragon Naturally Spekaing
From:       Niels Jende <njende () njende ! de>
Date:       2007-09-20 10:10:09

Hi Jos, *,

Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> yeah, I don't see how that even could be hard. Of course, it would
> require some work, but as far as I can tell, having a new input system
> would be possible.

Sounds damn good to me ;-)

>>>  Consequently, though KDE
>>> could easily be adapted to support one, there simply isn't such
>>> technology. Writing one wouldn't really be KDE project, as we're
>>> working on GUI related things, using lowerlevel libraries provided by
>>> other projects (this is the famous "standing on the shoulders of
>>> Giants").
>>>

>> ;-) nice one
>>

>>> You might search for and contact projects working on this sort of
>>> technology to find out how mature it is, but I wouldn't expect too
>>> much as of now.
>>>

>> I will contact Mr Knopper and see how mature his speech recognition is.
>> Is ist okay, to post once I did get a reply of Mr. Knopper in here?
>>

> I guess so, yes. Maybe someone is interested (and capable) of helping.
> I couldn't find anything about speech RECOGNITION on the knoppix site,
> though. Festival was mentioned (but KDE already has speech generation
> very well integrated through KTTSD).

He said in Vienna on the LinuxDay that they will try to provide with one
of the upcoming releases (Adriane) a Speech-To-Text Software. I might be
wrong, but IMHo he said something like that. So, I did sent him already
an email and we'll see what his answer will be. I'll keep you updated.

CU
Niels