List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: voice control software like Dragon Naturally Spekaing
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-09-20 10:04:53

On 9/20/07, Niels Jende <njende@njende.de> wrote:
> Hi Jos,
>
> Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > On 9/20/07, Niels Jende <njende@njende.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi KDE-Team,
> >>

> > Hi Niels
> >
> > Linux doesn't really have very good speech recognition engines and I'm
> > not aware of one under heavy development.
>
> I might get in touch with Mr Knopper of the Knoppix Project then. He,
> IMHO has inegrated a well working speech recognition in his Linux
> Project Adriane. Adraine is a Linux Distri for blind people. Maybe he
> knows something more...
>
> So, if his speech recognition software/tool or wahtesoever would work it
> could be inegrated into KDE. Did I get you right?

yeah, I don't see how that even could be hard. Of course, it would
require some work, but as far as I can tell, having a new input system
would be possible.

> >  Consequently, though KDE
> > could easily be adapted to support one, there simply isn't such
> > technology. Writing one wouldn't really be KDE project, as we're
> > working on GUI related things, using lowerlevel libraries provided by
> > other projects (this is the famous "standing on the shoulders of
> > Giants").
> >

> ;-) nice one
>
> > You might search for and contact projects working on this sort of
> > technology to find out how mature it is, but I wouldn't expect too
> > much as of now.
> >

> I will contact Mr Knopper and see how mature his speech recognition is.
> Is ist okay, to post once I did get a reply of Mr. Knopper in here?

I guess so, yes. Maybe someone is interested (and capable) of helping.
I couldn't find anything about speech RECOGNITION on the knoppix site,
though. Festival was mentioned (but KDE already has speech generation
very well integrated through KTTSD).