List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE rough edges - file-types in KDE 3
From:       Ian Wadham <ianw2 () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2007-09-20 5:53:01

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 06:10 pm, Robert Knight wrote:
> > Ian Wadham wrote:
> > >  I'm hoping KDE 4.0 will be a lot easier to use ...
> Time for some expectations management.

It's OK.  I'm old and I no longer believe in fairies ... :-)

> On 19/09/2007, Arnold Krille <kde@arnoldarts.de> wrote
> > Yeah, that is what gnome is always thinking about. Making it easy with
> > very little options. Actually people choose KDE over Gnome because they
> > can customize it more and can change more settings...
> Some options are much more important that others however.  If a dialog
> has too many buttons, boxes, spinners, diaogs, lists and who knows
> what else, it becomes harder to find and change the most important
> ones.  In other words, if you throw too much stuff into a dialog or
> window the 'value' or 'usefulness' of it goes down.

Absolutely, Robert.  Spot on.  Option as much as you like, but please
put the more esoteric stuff in some kind of "appendix" or "footnote".

> The question then is not just about 'more options' or 'less options',
> its about users from the target audience being able to set the
> application up the way they want it with the minimum of effort.

Loud cheers from me, Robert ... :-)

> > it is really the task of the distribution to provide sensible defaults
>
> I disagree.  The distributions have a quite enough other things to
> worry about without having to spent months finding and adjusting every
> inappropriate default, only for every other distribution to repeat the
> effort.  There is also the problem that distribution maintainers are
> not necessarily knowledgeable in the domain of the application, nor do
> they know about all the user feedback the developer has received.

I can only add that, if distros are not choosing good defaults for the KDE
desktop, it is KDE that looks bad to the end-user.  So maybe KDE guys
should be making some "strong suggestions" to the distros on how to
configure KDE for a good all-round user experience.

All the best, Ian W.