List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE rough edges - file-types in KDE 3
From:       Ian Wadham <ianw2 () optusnet ! com ! au>
Date:       2007-09-20 5:29:29

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 08:47 pm, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 September 2007, Ian Wadham wrote:
> Settings -> Configure KMail -> Appearance
> Third Tab (Window) contains options how to display the message structure
> and where to put it (above or below the actual message window)

Thanks, Kevin.  That works quite well, but contains more detail than
I need.  Windows Outlook Express has an icon in the top of the
preview pane to indicate when there is an attachment.  If you click
on it, you get a menu showing a list of files and sizes and a "Save
Attachments" action.  I'd prefer a button that just says "Attachments".
The paper clip icon is non-intuitive to me and my wife.  We always
use staplers in real life - except with cheques of course ... :-)  In
the message window and compose window, Windows OE lists
attachments (if any) in a box under the Subject box.

Maybe one day (with author's permission) I will introduce something
like this into KMail ... ;-)  In all other ways my wife and I like KMail
better than Windows OE.

> Users who specifically ask usually get the answer how to do it through the
> control centre, i.e. KDE components -> File Associations -> Image/jpeg
> Makes it probably less intuitive but is better for describing in an answer.

It's the "KDE Components" that is non-intuitive to me.  What does it mean?
I guess I thought it meant settings for various KDE applications, so did not
look there.

> Since you had to try a lot, how did you do it on whatever platform you used
> to use before?

I cannot resist answering this and maybe showing off a little ... :-)

Xerox Star - Not needed.  It was an object-oriented desktop and every object
    (document, print server, inbox, outbox, etc.) knew what program handled
    it.  The object-oriented desktop was invented by Alan Kay, at Xerox PARC,
    who also invented the Smalltalk language, both for use by schoolchildren.
    And the desktop was that easy to use ... but the response time was bad
    on the processors of the day (around 1980).
Apple Lisa - Similar.
Apple Mac - Somewhat similar, but diverging.
X and Open Windows - Basically a command-line system IIRC.
MS DOS - Definitely a command-line system.
Windows 3.x - A process-oriented desktop *evolved*, rather messily, from
    MS DOS, rather than being *designed*.  I think subsequent desktops have
    continued this "evolutionary" track, including KDE to some extent.  I do
    not recall Windows 3.x having file associations.  Things had gone
    backwards in 12 years or so ... :-(
Windows 98 - Start->Settings->Folder Options then File Types tab.
Windows XP - Start->Control Panel->Folder Options then File Types tab OR
    Start->Control Panel->Appearance and Themes->Folder Options ... etc.
Windows Vista - Never tried it.  "Never have ... Never will ... Denny Crane!".

The "Folder Options" thing throws a lot of people off track in Windows,
judging by the frequency of letters on this topic to our local newspaper's
weekly "PC" (actually Windows) guru.  He never writes about Linux.

Cheers, Ian W.